Monday, May 20, 2024

LEJOG3 - Final Blog Post

The weather is bright and beautiful and I am sat on a Highland train taking me all the way down to Inverness. Then it's on to Edinburgh, Peterborough and finally, (at the end of the day) Cambridge. Probably the longest train ride I have done - outside of India. I've done some mammoth train rides there.
The overnight stay in Wick was most comfortable, for a reasonable price. I was overlooking Wick fishing harbour.
I was tired, but satisfied. It felt like 'Mission accomplished'.
Having said that, I felt a touch of loneliness, when later sat there (with chips) in Wick park on Sunday evening after completing the 3-ride epic of Land's End to John O'Groats. Loneliness is something I rarely experience. I have great friendships and social life and I am very comfortable with my own company. So this was an indicator of something.
On reflection, I think it was the anticlimax to a 4-year fundraising project which was never far from my mind in that time. It was just the realisation that it's all over now. I've completed the work.
I've done four Big Rides in that time - three of them stages of the LEJOG, and the other recent tranche of rides in Utah, Montana and Idaho. 
I'm really, really glad I did all this. It has raised a lot of funds, and I've met and ridden with great people. The rides in USA particularly, were the trip of a lifetime. I've seen beautiful places.
Also, I've been confronted by my physical limitations and demands of my aging body. For someone with my condition and age, I'm not in bad shape. Tony, the PT at YMCA has been a great help in preparing me for the rides, and helping me get back in shape from injuries sustained on the rides.
As I've said before, this the last of the Big Rides. However, I can do small ones! I ride daily, and will definitely plan weekend rides in future.
I have an idea for a long weekend cycling in Holland.
No hills in Holland! In USA recently, and on this latest ride, I've realised my hill-climbing abilities have deminished.
The arthritic knees just can't cope like they did even four years ago. My legs are strong, but the knees can easily reach seizure if I don't manage things well.
I simply need to walk up most hills now. 
When I started out, I wasn't to know what a tough task Big Rides are mentally. A bit like climbing Everest. The inner traveller and his well-being are crucial.
I've done alright there. I've always been able to appreciate the amazing scenery and enjoy the actual cycling. I've found myself being able to cope OK on the two times I ended up in hospital (in Inverness and in Panguitch, Utah).
Several times I've continued cycling when I was actually ill, and 'cycled through it'. I have been able to cope with failure, getting lost, things going wrong and injury. I haven't liked it at all, but I coped with it, I believe.
I'm too old and disabled to climb Everest or sail around the world, but if I were able to, I think I'd manage OK, mentally.
It's a reassuring thought.
Finally, I wanted to thank you, my friends, followers and donators. Without you and your support, I couldn't have done any of it.
THANK YOU!


1 comment:

  1. Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu! Mission accomplished. A truly successful fundraising venture and a great blog.

    ReplyDelete

LEJOG3 - Final Blog Post

The weather is bright and beautiful and I am sat on a Highland train taking me all the way down to Inverness. Then it's on to Edinburgh,...