Saturday, April 27, 2024

I want to ride my bicycle.....

The weather has turned very wet and grim here in Missoula. Torrential rain and low temperatures. Rather like a British Spring, really!
That is not the only challenge to me getting back on the bike and doing more riding. I can cope with bad weather riding.
Last night was very challenging with me feeling nauseous, generally ill and low in energy all night. I also couldn't get to sleep and only managed a few hours. It was one of those nights when my mind was spinning off into all sorts of negative scenarios of: "Have I got a major illness? or Will I have to go to the Emergency ward? or Are the mountain gods of Montana against me? Have I got COVID? or Have I got a brain tumour? How am I going to pay for treatment?" All sorts of mad thoughts were swirling around at 3am on that sleepless night, lying there feeling rubbish.
Got up this morning and talked with AB & SB. What to do? I have seven days left before I fly back to the UK on Monday May 6th, arriving early in the morning on the 7th.
We did a COVID test. It was negative.
SB is a skilled shiatsu practitioner. She gave me a treatment. She thinks I am still suffering from disorientation - after-effects perhaps, from what was a bad case of altitude sickness in Utah.
After the treatment, I definitely feel a bit better. Let's see. She's given me exercises to do during the day. I'm doing them every hour. So far, so good. Less dizziness and nausea. Bit more energy. I'm going to have a quiet day on the sofa reading and hopefully recovering.
I hope I can get back on the bike tomorrow, but I've got to be patient with this old body and be sensible.
This requires patience and listening to what my body needs. We have already cycled many hundreds of miles in all sorts of terrain in Utah, Idaho and Montana. I don't want to just end things here and visit museums or sit on the sofa for a week. I feel there's more cycling to do yet.
My hosts are wonderful friends: kind, generous, sensible, helpful. I could easily be feeling ill in worse circumstances than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEJOG3 - Day 5: The Finishing Line

 Arrival! More later...