Monday, April 29, 2024

Big Ride Day 10: Into the Wilderness again

I am not fully recovered from whatever it is I've got (virus, altitude hangover?). However, I'm well enough so I did a big ride today. It was cold - like the UK in February and I was wrapped up. The wind was raw.
Headed out on the Kim Williams trail but went further and did a different route this time. I explored various trails of the Hellgate valley. At one point, I cycled a disused railroad line. Wonderful riding. 
I took bearspray - just in case, but saw no bears thankfully, black or brown. 
Once again, I felt on my own - in the wilderness. I saw no-one. Just me, the bike, the trail, the woods and the mountains.
Looped back into Missoula and went to a famous vegan restaurant for a late lunch. "Excuse me, are you English?" asked a young man with 'Montana Grizzlies' (a local American Football team) emblazoned on his shirt and overlarge baseball hat. He must have heard my accent when I ordered. After confirming I was, he launched into his appreciation of English Premier League 'Soccer'. We talked football for a while. He asked me which teamed I supported. I didn't say 'Ipswich Town' as he wouldn't have heard of them. So I said I enjoyed watching Man City and Liverpool. He said "Oh yeah, Liver-pool, they're great". He pronounced 'Liverpool' in a way I've never heard before.
Americans can be so friendly.
I then headed west along the Bitterroot River out of town and into the countryside. I got a bit lost and found myself in the middle of an enormous run-down trailer park. The people I encountered there were not friendly. "Get the hell out of here, stranger!" was the vibe I picked up. I was in they're territory, so I didn't hang around. I was getting the hard stare from the trailer doors.
AB is back at work now, so it will mainly be me continuing with The Big Rides this week until I leave America on Monday May 6th.
There's so many rides to do.
So many trails, not enough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEJOG3 - Day 5: The Finishing Line

 Arrival! More later...