Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Meeting the Buddha on the road


 I have been chanting the Shakyamuni mantra whilst on the road. It really helps with those hard hours of the hot afternoon. I am arrived now in Garway, Herefordshire. Varasahaya and Shantipala have welcomed me into their beautiful country home and we have already had a good talk about our lives and Triratna matters. It is so good to be with members of the Order, and they are so welcoming.

Tomorrow, I'll be heading off to Knighton. I feel I'm moving into a whole new phase of the ride.

Staying with my son and family in Cheltenham was a tonic. Barney and Clare were generous, welcoming and had everything set up for me. It was great to catch up on their lives. And there was little granddaughter Hazel with her delightful ways and little toothy grin.

Today's ride was easy in the morning and tough in the afternoon. The afternoon heat is really energy-sapping. But I'm getting used to it now, and will need to deal skilfully with it for couple more days yet until the weather breaks.

The important thing is that I pace myself in the afternoons and take plenty of breaks, otherwise I could get heat-exhaustion or disorientated. Last night, I had a dream I was accompanying Xuanzang on his pilgrimage to India. We were in the blazing hot Gobi dessert. For some reason I had my bike with me, and couldn't understand why. A bike is useless in sand dunes.






2 comments:

  1. Hi Saddharaja. Just been catching up on your blogs for the last few days. I’m feeling for you in the heat, sounds like you have worked out how to deal with it, sensible man that you are. Sending you all good wishes, and remember there are many of us cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well brother I have managed to log in on your blog and have read all your diaries. Well done so far mate, the heat has been relentless. I have been constructing decking for a client this week and I would rather be doing that than what you are doing. You have my full admiration for your commitment and perseverance. Good luck for the next few days Rich. Best. Al

    ReplyDelete

LEJOG3 - Day 5: The Finishing Line

 Today has been a long day. I am sitting in a chip shop in Wick, waiting for a veggie burger and chips. I am very hungry. I'...