Thursday, May 16, 2024

LEJOG3 - Day 2: Alness to Aultnagar Lodge, Lairg - Into the mystic mist

Last night's stay at Alness was cheap but comfortable. After a long day's  cycling, it's great to have a shower waiting for you. There was a great breakfast, too.
On the road for 08.30 and from the start it was tough going. Possibly the longest continuous uphill climb I've ever done. About two and three-quarters hours of mountain roads - always going up. It seemed endless but kept going with regular rests. A deep mist descended from early morning and that reduced vision. Just me, the mist and an occasional mountain peak or forest visible. Very atmospheric.
There was nothing to do but keep going.
Eventually, around 11.30, I reached the top. The mist cleared revealing another beautiful sunny day. Then began the long descent. It was long, steep and pretty exhilarating. 
I reached the bottom of the glen and the pretty town of Ardgay. There was a cafe and a chance to sit in the sun and look across to Dornoch Firth and eat an egg roll.
A group of touring cyclists turned up and chatted. They were amazed I was doing my final leg of the LEJOG on a Brompton.
I arrived at Bonar Bridge and met some young female JOGLERs (John O'Groats to Land's End - the other way). There seems to be a real camaraderie among cyclists doing this particular route. 
Like me, so many are raising money for charity.
Arrived at Aultnagar Lodge which is a beautiful old house turned into tourist accomodation. Friendly hosts. Beautiful house, beautiful views, and very quiet. This place was built for the entrepreneur Andrew Carnegie.
Big push north tomorrow towards Forsinard. Starting to get closer to John O'Groats.
Aultnagar Lodge

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEJOG3 - Final Blog Post

The weather is bright and beautiful and I am sat on a Highland train taking me all the way down to Inverness. Then it's on to Edinburgh,...