Friday, May 3, 2024

Big Ride Day 14: The Ultimate Cycle Ride




Today is hard to describe. It was so wonderful. We woke early in our chalet and got onto the road for 8am. Reached Glacier National Park for 8.45 and were cycling by 9.15. the landsape was stunning. The most beautiful landscape I've ever seen. We cycled a road through that was closed to traffic. We had it all to ourselves. After several miles we parked the bikes and hiked 3 miles up to Avalanche Lake, a glacial lake in the mountains. Very beautiful and quiet. We had lunch there. 
Unfortunately the hike was too much for my right arthritic knee, and I was in pain from a knee twist. By this time the beautiful weather was getting warm. 
Hobbled down through the forest to the bikes in the afternoon. I only managed a few more miles on the bike through the park. Cycling up the mountain hills became to much for my knee so we headed back to Macdonald Lodge, where we were parked up. Got back for 3pm to the car. 
I have now soaked my knee in the bath and taken painkillers. Knowing my knee, It'll be alright once it gets a rest. If I had carried on, though, I'd have risked a sieze-up. 
I find I can cycle as long as I like and my knees are OK. But doing uphill hikes are another matter. I really can't do that anymore. In this case, I was making an exception, because Avalanche Lake was so beautiful. But... I paid the price.
Incredibly on the ride back we encountered a grizzly bear on the road!
The weather god were smiling on us today - the last ride of this amazing American cycle journey. It has been a total success, despite some health challenges and logistical hassle.
It has clouded over now and rain is forecast.
Tomorrow (Sunday) we head back to Missoula. Monday morning, I get my flight back to Salt Lake City. All being well, I'll reach London Heathrow for 06.45 on Wednesday May 8th.
Right now, we are heading into Whitefish town for a pizza. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEJOG3 - Day 5: The Finishing Line

 Arrival! More later...