Thursday, June 2, 2022

Day 11: Lots of drama & logistics

Thank you so much for all your messages of support. Unfortunately our big ride is over. Prajnakara & I are taking a long train ride back to Cambridge today. He with his bike, and I am having my bike sent home. I shall not do a ride like this again. We did 450 miles to Newtonmore in the Highlands, which is where we are now.

Yesterday lunch time after cycling 22 miles on a remote highland cycletrack, I hit a pothole, the water bottle fell off my bike & rolled under the back wheel. It fetched me off in an instant. I hit my hand on the road. Can't remember if I hit my head or not. As it was really remote, I had to cycle a further 20 miles to the B&B. It was just a piece of bad luck.

I then callapsed at the B&B and was given First Aid by the landlord & PK & ambulance called. As I was unconscious for a long time, paramedics were concerned about brain damage or other serious conditions. Taken to Inverness hospital & kept in overnight. Given many tests: ECG, brain concussion tests, blood pressure, stroke etc. Eventually given all clear and concluded callapse was a mixture of extreme pain in my hand, shock and dehydration. Now feel nearly normal in my consciousness.

Was also X-rayed & found to have a badly broken hand. It is very painful indeed and I cannot use it. The Inverness doctor has arranged for it to be set at Cambridge, and a cast made for it at Addenbrookes hospital or I could lose some use of the hand. I have a window of several days. It is likely to take many weeks to heal. I will not be able to cycle, write or paint for some time, probably.

Prajnakara has been fantastic with his help. The B&B landlord and landlady John and Irene England of Clune House were kind, helpful and really went out of their way. The Ambulance & hospital staff were really first class. I could not have had better help & treatment. I am extremely grateful.

I am still taking it all in. I had a lot of morphine for the pain and this has left me a bit confused.

I feel I am now done with Kolkata fundraising. No more bike rides. It has been very successful, and that will help the project to flourish. Despite these unfortunate incidents, I am glad I did it. Hopefully, I can recover well from this. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEJOG3 - Day 5: The Finishing Line

 Arrival! More later...