Saturday, May 28, 2022

Day 6: Into the Mystic

'Together we will go....into the Mystic'. Van Morrison: Moondance
After a decent stay over at Carlisle, today we wended our way out of the city, and headed for the countryside and the border. We were heading for the mystical Caledonia - or Scotland, as it is generally known.

Unfortunately, once again we had a head wind, and this was to make our progress that much harder. Another 47 miles today to the Scottish town of Moffat, where we were met by a welcoming landlady who installed us in a comfy room and stored our bikes.

Once we made it to Gretna Green we took photos and stocked up on provisions. Prajnakara was in good shape and spirits, whereas I found the day much more of a slog into the never-ending hills and headwind. My rheumatoid arthritis was playing up in my knees and heels, wrists and hands. At times, it blinded me to the natural beauty all around me. The lush lowland Scottish countryside was looking lovely and purple rhododendrons were everywhere. Prajnakara kindly took some heavy stuff from my bike, to carry on his own bike - so as to make life easier for me.

We found time to stop at Ecclefechan, home of Thomas Carlyle and later, when we passed through Lockerbie, we stopped at the memorial to the 1988 air disaster and did a short meditation. The memory of that terrible event was sobering.

We ploughed on - on a seemingly never-ending almost unused streight road which eventually, eventually led us to the town of Moffat. 

Today was arduous, I'm afraid - at least for me, and we shall need a good sleep tonight, as tomorrow we are riding a record 54 miles to Livingston, near Edinburgh. There will be plenty of hills, and I expect Northerly headwinds, but I am determined to get there. It is on days like this that I positively bear in mind that I am 63 and have rheumatoid arthritis, so I'm not doing badly, really!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEJOG3 - Day 5: The Finishing Line

 Arrival! More later...