Tuesday, July 6, 2021

The journey of 1200 miles begins with a single pedal turn

 


Though it is only since the start of the pandemic that I have become serious about cycling, actually, pedal-power as always been in my life from the earliest times and throughout my life thus far. For most of the 43 years of my working life, I cycled to work.

The original metal car I had when I was two years old was pedal-powered. I used to go off for very long journies in it, and my parent's were always a bit worried as we lived in a cottage in a wood in Wales at the time. They had to keep an eagle eye on me or I would have got lost! 

My father once told me that I was so attached to my pedal car that I would sometimes refuse to leave it at meal times and he was forced to carry me into the house, whilst still in the car! This picture was taken in 1961.

In 1975, when I was 16, I cycled all the way to Paris from the Lake District (where we then lived). I cycled with a local friend. Mark and I cycled from Windermere to Dover - camping all the way. We then cycled through Northern France in that summer - stealth-camping, and then spent a few days exploring Paris. I then returned on my own, and Mark carried on through Europe. I would have gone through Europe with him, but I didn't have enough money. It was my first trip abroad, and I loved it. I am amazed that my parents agreed to me going at such an age. I'm sure that wouldn't happen today. I hadn't even started shaving and was quite naieve about the realities of adult life. There were no mobile phones back then, so I sent postcards to my parents from along the route. I remember sending one postcard as I was returning home through Normandy. It simply said "I'm coming back home. I'm fed up with the French food and cycling on the right hand side of the road". As you can see from the picture, I didn't wear special cycling gear, neither did Mark. One day, we covered 81 miles.

My friend was older and was an experienced cyclist. I didn't have a great bike to go on until... my grandmother stepped forward and gave me her touring bike, especially for the ride, which was generous. Despite being a 'Ladies bike' it was a Jack Taylor, which was a good brand and an expensive model. It had been given to her by a boyfriend. She had arthritis at the time (similar sort to what I have now) and could no longer ride it. 

I loved that bike and rode it everywhere. I eventually traded it in when I went to Art College in Carlisle in 1979. I bought a standard 'Gents touring bike'. The reason for this was whilst at Art College, I attended home games of Carlislie United Football Club. I usually rode to matches on my Jack Taylor bike. "He's riding a women's bike, look!" jeered local youths, and I was mocked. My youthful ego could not bear it, and I traded it in for something that would be approved of. 

That's something else that wouldn't happen now. I wouldn't be mocked today for such things, and if I was, I wouldn't care. Things have changed for the better. I also wear proper cycling gear, which does make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEJOG3 - Day 5: The Finishing Line

 Arrival! More later...