Friday, May 28, 2021

Freewheelin'

I thought I'd introduce my bike to you. It is such an important aspect of my Big Ride. 

I have two bikes, both are British made. My training bike is a Genesis CDA10 gravel bike. It is great for training on, cycling around town, short tours or off-road ride along woodland trails.

My LEJOG (Land's End to John O'Groats) bike is quite different. It is a classic British touring road bike, the Ridgeback Voyage. Mine is four years old. If you buy it today it costs £1200. I payed £900 for mine. This is not a lot these days for a good tourer, as you can easily pay £8-9000 for a top-end touring bike. I don't need that. My Ridegback suits me fine, even if it's a little old-fashioned now, with cantilever brakes. Apart from being light, strong and a very comfortable ride, it is also very well-geared. It has three front chain sets and an impressive cassette of gears that will be more than capable of dealing with whatever hills the UK can offer. I've probably cycled at least 11000 miles on it now - 7000 in the last 12 months

I've also got puncture-proof tyres and a Brooks B17 touring saddle - possibly the best touring saddle money can buy. With 1200 miles to cycle on the LEJOG, I'm, going to need it!

On the tour itself, I'm travelling light, as I'm staying at B&Bs each night. So I have a large Ortleib front bar bag, and at the rear an expandable Zefal saddle bag - both totally waterproof. That's it. 

Apart from my cycling clothes and waterproofs, I just have: one change of 'civvies', basic toiletries, a mobile phone, Kindle and bike satnav. I shall also carry an essential toolkit along with a good pump and two spare inner tunes. I shall also have 3 litres of water on board and some high-protein snacks. My favourite are peanut butter and marmalade sandwiches and bananas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LEJOG3 - Day 5: The Finishing Line

 Arrival! More later...